What is a High Risk Work Licence & Why Do You Need One?

Construction worker wearing a blue hard har and high-vis vest using a hammer

Are you planning to carry out high risk work (HRW) in Western Australia? If so, you’ll need to get a high risk work licence.

In this article, we’ll answer some common questions about high risk work licences in WA, including what types of work require a licence, how much a licence will set you back, and how to apply for or renew your licence.

What is a high risk work licence?

A high risk work licence is a specific type of licence that is required for anyone who carries out certain types of work that are considered to be high risk in nature. This type of licence is necessary to ensure that individuals who are performing this type of work are properly trained and qualified to do so, and that they are capable of working safely and efficiently.

What is high risk work?

High risk work is any type of work that involves the use of certain types of machinery or equipment, or the performance of certain tasks, that are considered to be high risk in nature. This typically includes work that involves the operation of cranes, forklifts, or other heavy machinery, as well as work that involves the handling of explosives, or the use of elevated work platforms.

What types of work require a high risk work licence in Western Australia?

In Western Australia, a
high risk work licence is required for individuals who wish to perform the following types of work:

  • Scaffolding: basic, intermediate and advanced
  • Rigging work: dogging, basic, intermediate and advanced rigging
  • Crane and hoist operation: tower, self-erecting tower, derrick, portal boom, bridge and gantry, vehicle loading, non slewing mobile, slewing, materials hoist, personnel and materials hoist, boom-type elevating work platform, vehicle mounted concrete placing boom
  • Forklift operation: forklift trucks, order-picking forklift trucks
  • Pressure equipment operation: basic, intermediate and advanced boiler operation, turbine operation, reciprocating steam engine operation

It’s important to point out that you can only undertake the type of HRW endorsed on your licence. However, you can add new classes to your HRW licence, which allows you to carry out different types of high risk work on a single licence.

How much is a high risk work licence WA

A high risk work license in Western Australia costs $78.00 to apply for. The cost to renew a license is $44.00, and the cost to transfer a license is also $78.00. The cost to add a class to a license is $39.00. Note that these fees apply for the 2022-23 year only.

Visit the Department of Mines, Industry Regulations and Safety online for more information.

How long does a high risk work licence last in WA?

In WA, a high risk work licence lasts for five years before it needs to be renewed. To renew your licence, you will need your high risk work licence number, a valid email address or registered mobile phone number, a valid credit card, and a passport photo.

You can renew your licence online, or you can contact WorkSafe on 1300 424 091 or email wslicensing@dmirs.wa.gov.au if you need assistance. It’s important to renew your licence before it expires, as carrying out high risk work without a valid licence is illegal and can result in penalties.

Where can I apply for or renew a high risk work licence in WA?

To apply for or renew a high risk work licence in WA, visit the
Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety online.

The wrap-up

A high risk work licence is a crucial requirement for anyone who wants to carry out certain types of work in Western Australia. With a valid licence, you can be confident that you have all your bases covered and are qualified to perform high risk work safely and efficiently. 

Share this post:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on whatsapp
Share on print